- Created by Bjarne Stroustrup, starting in 1979 at Bell Labs
- Direct descendant of C, which was introduced around 1973
- Supports data abstraction and object oriented programming
- Originally named C with Classes
- Renamed C++ in 1983
- Hugely successful and major influence on many other languages
- Compiled language
This C++ essentials is starting from an assumed point that the user will already have a sound understanding of C, as a foundation to build upon.
Many of the fundamental concepts of C are encompassed within C++ and therefore only the main differences and advanced concepts are covered within this section of the site.